A reading a weekend keeps the mind sharpened:
- Zero Opportunity Employers.
- “Smile, Baby:” The Words No Woman Wants to Hear.
- Higher Education Can Be Free.
- Colorado Parolees: No Job, No Money, No Skills, No Home.
- Nothing But Verdicts: The Purpose of Tribunals.
- The Campus Anti-War Movement That Came Before Vietnam.
- David Petraeus: Voldemort Comes to CUNY.
- Thoughts on Petraeus.
- NYPD to CUNY Students: Drop Dead:
The police is a unionized force made up of working class folks; its struggles should be seen by them as existing on a continuum with those of the students who attend a public university like CUNY. But so successful has the brainwashing and indoctrination of the police been, that every time they step out, booted, uniformed, swaggering and strutting on a city street, swinging their night-sticks, and see a ‘long-haired punk,’ they fail to recognize a little bit of themselves. With every blow they hand out to a protester, they merely ensure that their miserable state of endless precinct-centered resentment and bitterness will continue.
The pity is that they don’t suffer alone; they make the rest of us bear the burden of their anomie too.
- Kenya’s Westgate Mall Attack and the Politics of Spectacular Violence.
- The FBI’s Least Wanted.
- Swarovski Kristallnacht.
- “We Felt Like We Were Above the Law”: How the NCAA Endangers Women, on the use of “hostesses” to lure in college recruits.
- Exploring the Racist “Slave Quarters” of One of Yale’s Residential Colleges.
- Why Do We Tolerate Revenge Porn?
- In Miley Cyrus’ Words:
Miley admits that her performance with Thicke got a little – her word – “handsy.” But she makes a good point: “No one is talking about the man behind the ass. It was a lot of ‘Miley twerks on Robin Thicke,’ but never, ‘Robin Thicke grinds up on Miley.’ They’re only talking about the one that bent over. So obviously there’s a double standard.”
“America is just so weird in what they think is right and wrong,” she continues. “Like, I was watching Breaking Bad the other day, and they were cooking meth. I could literally cook meth because of that show. It’s a how-to. And then they bleeped out the word ‘fuck.’ And I’m like, really? They killed a guy, and disintegrated his body in acid, but you’re not allowed to say ‘fuck’? It’s like when they bleeped ‘molly’ at the VMAs. Look what I’m doing up here right now, and you’re going to bleep out ‘molly’? Whatever.”
- Digital Runways, Paper Dolls, on race and the runway in China.
- Lenin’s Plot to Destroy Capitalism, and it’s Lessons About Money and the Economy Today.
- NCAA Football Players Mark Gear In Protest. And It Could Signal a Movement.
- Why Nobody Likes U.S. Foreign Policy.
- Cool Pope Francis Will Let You Down.
- Getting Medieval On Tuition.
- A Nation Built For Immigrants.
- From Workplace‘s special issue on The New Academic Labor Market and Graduate Students: